ER-Site Evaluation Presentation Summary

In the first-rotation evaluation site visit, I presented one patient’s full H&P, including assessment and plan. I also submitted a write up regarding about DKA patient. My presented case is a hypertensive patient with recurrent headache. For this patient, he is a 55-year-old male with three ER visits within 1 week presents for uncontrolled headache. My site evaluator discussed the plan and patient’s disposal. For example, for this patient, professor Sajid point out neurology referral may help him to figure out what’s the main reason for his headache, since his blood pressure was almost within the normal range, as well as, the dosage of BP meds, which I found to be very helpful.

In the final evaluation site visit, I presented a case on appendicitis perforation as well as an article related to my case. Professor Sajid and I talked about the benefits and harms of antibiotic therapy in patients with non-perforated appendicitis. After the case presentation, I presented an article which provides valuable evidence regarding the outcomes of antibiotic first versus immediate surgery for acute non-perforated appendicitis. I chose to present this article because it was related to my appendectomy case and explained why attending in that case decided to use the antibiotics for the initial treatment for appendicitis.

My site evaluator did not comment much on the way I presented my HPI. However, he gave a lot of useful comments on the assessment and plan, such as how to disposal the patient with newly diagnosed Hypertension who complains recurrent headache, and how to initially treat appendicitis patient. This will be very beneficial and applicable to my future rotations.