2018 Fall – Biomedical Ethics: Moral Argument Essay

Moral Argument Essay

The purpose in this essay is to explain and discuss my response to the patient’s medication request, which is supported by the principles of beneficence and autonomy.

I would support the attending physician writing the prescription for Mr. S. In order to benefiting Mr. S, I’m not only concerned about and empathizing with him, but also use my caring knowledge and abilities to prescribe him the medication; and try to make a difference in his quality of life. In addition, based on respect his autonomy, I will let him able to do what he wishes to do, and understand the rationality of his thought process.

The first reason I decided to support the attending physician is because of the principles of beneficence. Yeo (2010) points out that beneficence is preventing or removing some harm, promoting good or welfare of others. In order to benefit others in the health care context, we have to care people by good wishes or intentions (Yeo et al., 2010). Through empathy, I come to deeply understand Mr. S’s concerns and his reasons for behaving as he does. I believe when he feel understood, he may more likely to share his experiences with me, which makes me able to get more reliable sexual information to help him. Moreover we should have the knowledge and be able to use our professional skills to work for others benefit, even unsure about how best to produce benefit (Yeo et al., 2010). Now that I know that the medication has low health risk for him base on my clinical knowledge, I’d like to benefit him. I think Mr. S seeking for the medication because he wants to improve the quality of his life, especially his sexual performance. Yeo (2010) indicates that quality of life is an important value in health care. As a health professional, it is important for me to consider how the Mr. S’s requirement impact of his daily life quality. Since I believe this medication can change his life, I agree to give him the prescription.

The principle of autonomy is the second explanation that supports my decision. Autonomy is a capacity that someone can make a well-being determination by oneself (Yeo, et al., 2010). Free action is the first main meaning of autonomy to support my choice. I’d like the Mr. S can be able to get what he wishes. In the health care context, patients’ autonomy may be diminished when they are sick. Yeo (2010) shows an example that the patients, who are in the psychiatric hospital, may be forced to take a sedative even they do not want to. In this situation, the patients lack autonomy just because they do not have ability to control themselves. But when we look at Mr. S’ case, he is a mature healthy person, who should have a right to receive or refuse any beneficial treatments. The medication he required has low risk for his health. On the contrary, it may help him to build self- confidence. The other main meaning of autonomy affect my decision is effective deliberation. Yeo (2010) states that the effective deliberation is related to the rationality of a person’s thought process. Mr. S goes to gym may indicate that he’d like to build his physique which may help him to gain more confidence and more attractive. He wants to get stronger each day. Based on this evidence, his requirement for the medication is rational. In some instance, the integrity of the thought process may be affect by false assumptions (Yeo, et al., 2010). For example, a terminal cancer patient refuse a palliative treatment may damage his or her health. However, allowed Mr. S’s requirement is not only no harmful affection on his healthiness, but actually increasing his self-confidence and happiness.

In conclusion, I supported the attending physician to write the prescription for Mr. S. First, this medication may help Mr. S to get welfare. Second, Mr. S has right to make his own life and well-being independent decision.

References:

Yeo, M et al. (2010). Autonomy [selections]. In M Yeo et al. (eds.). Concepts and Cases in Nursing Ethics. [3rd edition] Ontario: Broadview Press, pp. 91-97, 103-109.

Yeo, Michael et al. (2010). Beneficence . In M Yeo et al. (eds.). Concepts and Cases in Nursing Ethics. [3rd edition] Ontario: Broadview Press, pp. 103-116.